1956 - 1976
- Miss Mary Frank Kirkpatrick, the mother and pioneer missionary of NBC arrived Nigeria. She began ministering to some students at Ibadan Boys’ High School, Ibadan.
- The First “Baptist Student Night” was held at Antioch Baptist Church, Ogbomoso on 29th December. It was an opportunity for students to lead the programme of the church.
- Revd Thomas Kennedy, a Southern Baptist Missionary working with Baptist Associations in the Northern Nigeria made contact with some students in the North, especially in Zaria.
- University of Ibadan students requested for a worship opportunity.
- Baptist Student Union (BSU) of University of Ibadan was launched.
- The BSU of University of Ife was launched on 11 October. The Baptist Student Centre, Ibadan began to function.
- The Nigerian Baptist Convention (NBC) agreed to set aside a Sunday night for students in December as “Baptist Students Night”.
- Space was also given to Student Ministries in the Nigerian Baptist, the official magazine of the NBC.
- Miss Kirkpatrick organized a Leadership Training Conference for students on 4th of September.
- Miss Kirkpatrick started full-time student ministries.
- In July the first BSU National Conference was held at the Nigerian Youth Camp, Lagos/Ibadan highway with 37 students in attendance.
- Seek Daily, a book of daily devotions published by the Student Ministries started. It had been published before by Miss Nar Owens at Agbor Baptist Girls’ High School, Agbor.
- Baptist Student Union of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria started with the arrival of Miss Bettye Anne McQueen. She also extended the scope of the ministry to some towns in Northern Nigeria.
- She ministered to the ABU BSF till 1985 when she left for Ibadan to be the first Head of Student Ministries Department (SMD) Nigerian Baptist Convention.
- Charismatic and Pentecostal awakening began on many campuses in Nigeria which had a great impact on the operation of BSU
- Miss Kirkpatrick began the circulation of a Student Newsletter to various campuses. This Newsletter later developed into a magazine, “The Voice”. Its production was stopped in 1977 and later continued from 1985 by the Baptist Student Fellowship Alumni Association.
- The Baptist Mission of Nigeria passed a motion to bring Student Ministry under the complete direction of the Nigerian Baptist Convention.
1977 - 1997
- Miss Kirkpatrick departed Nigeria on 17th December.
- Mrs. Leslie Williams became the Student Ministries Coordinator and she retired a year later. The NBC nominated the first student work Advisory Committee under the chairmanship of Deacon (Professor) A.F. Ogunsola.
- The name, Baptist Student Union was changed to Baptist Student Fellowship (BSF).
- Miss Marie Van Lear became the Student Ministries Coordinator. She served till 1985.
- The Student Ministry Advisory Committee of the Nigerian Baptist Convention recommended to the Convention to open Student Ministries Department and name a Head of Department.
- The NBC acted on the motion to bring Student Ministries under the NBC by voting to open a department of student ministries and to seek a departmental head. That was during the Convention in Session at Benin.
- Revd Philip Wilson and his wife joined the Student Ministries staff as campus ministers for University of Jos BSF. They also extended their ministries to other part of Northern Nigeria as the BSF Zonal Coordinators. They resigned in 1993 to serve as the Executive Secretary of the Baptist Missions of Nigeria.
- The year also witnessed the beginning of Baptist Student Fellowship Alumni Association.
- “BSF NYSC Programme” started. Mr. Dejo Olaore (now Rev. Abioye) was the first Corper to serve under the programme. Deacon Chief S.S. Ayanda was very helpful on this programme.
- Mr. and Mrs. Everett Douglas arrived as full-time Campus Ministers at the University of Ibadan, Ibadan. Their ministry is best remembered for emphasis on Christian Discipleship. They resigned in April 1987.
- The first church-based BSF was inaugurated at Abule-Okuta Baptist Church, Gbagada, Yaba, Lagos (now First Baptist Church, Bariga).
- The first student holiday missionaries were sent to Home Mission fields.
- The first Secretary of SMD was appointed at the NBC Session in Jos, in the person of Deaconess Bettye Ann McQueen. She opened the Student Office on 17th June, 1984 at Baptist Building, Ibadan. Mr. Sunday Yemi Oyegbile was appointed as SMD Office Secretary.
- Baptist Student Leaders’ Fellowship began at the Nigerian Baptist Theological Seminary, Ogbomoso.
- Miss. Mojisola B. Olaniyan was employed as the Writer and Project Coordinator, SMD.
- The Department began the publication of Department newsletter, “The Vision”. The BSF Operational Manual was also published.
- Revd. Nathan Nwachukwu joined the SMD staff as Eastern BSF Zonal Coordinator.
- Pastor Emiola Nihinlola joined SMD staff as Western Zonal BSF Coordinator.
- The first Western Zonal BSF Leadership Training Conference was held in December at Camp Young, Ede.
- National BSF adopted its Constitution during the National Conference at Camp Young, Ede.
- On 31st December, Deaconess McQueen resigned from the Student Ministries to begin a ministry to students in Port Harcourt and environs.
- Pastor Emiola Nihinlola was appointed by the NBC to be the first Nigerian Coordinator of Student Ministries on January 1.
- The beginning of Associational BSF Activities.
- Production of programme books for BSFs.
- The induction of the first Volunteer Campus Minister in person of Revd. E.A. Ogunsola. He was VCM for Baptist School of Nursing, Ogbomoso.
- In June Pastor Daniel Ogundayo joined Student Ministries as Western Zonal BSF Coordinator.
- Production of Programme Guidelines for campus-based BSFs began.
- The beginning of Award of Accountability Merit to BSFs.
- “Conference for Workers with Students” organized for Pastors and adult leaders of BSFs started.
- Pastor Nkem E. Osuigwe became the Zonal Coordinator for the Eastern Zone 1 BSF with base in Owerri.
- Pastor Elisha Magaji joined the Student Ministries staff as the Northern Zone 1 BSF Coordinator.
- Pastor Adegoke Adeleke and Jeffrey Salako joined the Student Ministries staff as BSF Zonal Coordinators for Western and Eastern zonal BSFs respectively.
- Pastor Nkem Osuigwe resigned from the Student Ministries to assume the pastorate, Faith Baptist Church, Port Harcourt.
- Sunday Akano (now Rev Sunday IbukunOluwa) joined the Student Ministries Staff as BSF Zonal Assistant in Jos, Plateau State.
- Student Ministries and Youth Department was Inaugurated at Orita-Mefa Baptist Church, Ibadan.
- Mr. Christian Opara joined the Student Ministries as Acting Zonal Coordinator with base in Owerri.
- Mr. Joshua Oladapo joined the Student Ministries Division as a Youth Corps member in Western Zone with base at Akure
- Mr Gbenga Akintola joined the Student Ministries Division as a Youth Corps member in Eastern Zone 1 with base at Owerri.
- Revd. Goke Adeleke was transferred to the Youth Division as National Coordinator in February.
- Mrs. Mojisola Alabi (Nee Olaniyan) was also transferred to the Publications Department in June.
In September, Mr. Diran Ajao was employed to serve as curriculum writer.
- Also in September, Mr. Joshua Oladapo, was appointed as Acting Zonal BSF Coordinator based in Akure.
- In November, Mr. Nuhu Kahma was appointed as Zonal Assistant based in Kaduna.
- Mr. Gbenga Akintola was retained after Youth Corps service and appointed as Zonal Assistant for Western Zone to coordinate Osun Conference with based in Ola-Ejigbo.
- Pastor Tayo Orodiji joined Student Ministries Division as Western Zone II Coordinator in June.
- In July, Mr. Keji Bolarinwa and Mr. Dejo Abioye were appointed as Zonal Assistants at Ado Ekiti and Ilorin respectively.
1998 - 2015
- In January, Revd. Lambert U. Njoku and Pastor Reuben Kpanvu joined SMD as Eastern Zone I and Northern Zone II Coordinators respectively with bases at Owerri and Kaduna.
In June, Mr. Stephen Olufemi Dada, Rev. Friday Ojiebun, Pastor Gbenga Akintola were appointed as Acting Zonal Coordinators Northern Zone 1, Eastern Zone 1 and Western Zone 1, with base in Jos, Benin and Abeokuta respectively.
- In June, Revd. Emiola Nihinlola resigned as the Coordinator of the Student Ministries and assumed the Pastorate of Immanuel Baptist Church, Oyo. He was succeeded by Revd. Daniel Ogundayo, while Revd. Jeffrey Salako was transferred to Ibadan from Benin.
- In December, Revd. Daniel Ogundayo also resigned and assumed the pastorate of Calvary Baptist Church, Jos.
In March, Mr. Sunday Adesina Ajekiigbe was appointed as Zonal Assistant with based in Minna.
- Beloved Miss Mary Frank Kirkpatrick went to be with the Lord.
- Bro. Abiodun Oluwole was appointed in April 1 as Zonal Assistant with base in Akure.
- Revd. Jeffrey Salako became the Coordinator of the ministry from 1st January.
- Mr. Sunday Oyegbile was transferred from the Student Ministries Division to Men Missionary Union from January 3rd, 2000.
- Mrs. Olufunke Ogunmola joined the Student Ministries staff as office Secretary.
- Brother Michael Kayode Owoade joined the Student Ministries as Zonal Assistant for Western Zone 1 with base in Ago-Are, Oke-Ogun in January.
- Revd. Reuben B.K. Kpanru resigned as Zonal Coordinator for Northern Zone II to the Pastor Union Baptist Church, Keffi.
- Pastor Joshua Oladapo was appointed as the Northern Zone II Coordinator with base in Kaduna from 1st October.
- Bro. Daniel Ayanmuyiwa was appointed as BSF Zonal Assistant for Northern Zone 1 on 1st December.
- Pastor Elisha Agya Magaji retired as Coordinator of Northern Zone I on 31st December.
- Pastor Moses Abiodun Orukotan joined the Student Ministries staff on 6th January.
- Rev. Jeffrey Salako left for further studies in the USA on August 3rd
Pastor Joshua Oladapo, Northern Zone II Coordinator resumed as Acting Coordinator.
- In October, Rev. Tayo Chris Orodiji was appointed as the Acting Coordinator SMD in Ibadan, while Rev. Joshua Oladapo redeployed to Akure as Zonal Coordinator, Western Zone III
- In October, Pastor Gbenga Akintola, was appointed full-time Zonal BSF Coordinator for Western Zone 1.
- In November,Mr Shallom Ekundayo was appointed as zonal assistant with base in Minna.
- Pastor Samson Okediji was appointed as Zonal Assistant for Western Zone II with base in Ogbomoso.
2005– January 11
- Rev. Tayo Orodiji and Rev. Goke Adeleke, Chaplain of Bowen University, Iwo, went home to be with the Lord.
- Pastor Moses Orukotan began to act as national coordinator.
- In July, 2005, Pastor Samson Okediji, Pastor Michael Owoade were appointed as Zonal Coordinator with base at Ogbomoso and Markurdi respectively.
- Pastor Elizabeth Aderonmu was appointed as Editor for Student Ministries Division at SMD Ibadan.
2006 – January
- Pastor Collins Olatunji was appointed as Zonal Coordinator for Northern Zone IV with base in Gusau.
- September, 40th anniversary celebrated at the National Conference held in Minna.
- April 3rd, Rev. Gideon assumed office as the National Coordinator
- May. Pastor Bolaji Oyateru was appointed as zonal coordinator for Northern zone 5 with base in Maiduguri
- Bro Amos Adedokun was appointed as zonal assistant for western zone 1 with base at Ago-Are.
- Rev. IbukunOlwa Joshua Sunday was appointed as VCM for FECA Akure.
- Pastor Alhamdu Tukurrah was appointed as coordinator Northern zone 1 with base in Northern zone 5 with base in Kaduna
- Januanry 2008, Mr Ajine Delo joined as Zonal assistant with base in Yola.
- The student ministries was represented at the Baptist world youth alliance in Germany by the National Cordinator.
- 50th anniversary of BSF was celebrated at the national Conference in Benin and an historical book “The child has survived” written by Rev. Dr. Emiola Nihinlola was dedicated at the occasion.
- Nbc gave the sum of #10million to purchase instruments and landed properties for campuses
- Partnership with Ghana NUBS began with 10 BSF members and staff attending their congress in Kumasi
- SMD was represented at Urbana Student Mission Congress in St. Louis Missosori, USA by the National Coordinator
- SMD was represented at PAMOJA (a Swahili Language meaning TOGETHERNESS) held in Cote Divoire
2011- December 31
- Rev Gideon Akanbi resigned as the National Coordinator. Rev. Joshua Oladapo also resigned his appointment with the Student Ministries.
- Pastor Stephen Dada was appointed as northern Zone coordinator with base in Gombe
- Mr. Gbenga Osho, Mr Akin Akindele, Pastor Onyekachi Nnorom were appointed as acting zonal coordinators for Eastern zone iii, Northern zone iv and Eastern Zone I respectively.
- Rev. Joshua Ibukunoluwa was appointed as the National Coordinator.
- MOD metamorphosed into Youth and Student Ministries Department
- June, Rev. Dr. S.A.K Olaleye assumed office as the pioneer Director of the department.
- August, Pastor Sola Adeyemi, Wumi Omidina and Henry Afor were appointed as zonal coordinator for western zone iii, Northern zone I and Eastern zone iv respectively
- The West African Leadership Conference was held at camp young, Ede
- June, Rev. Gbenga Akintola Resigned his appointment with the division
- Pastor Mobolaji Oyelade was appointed as zonal Coordinator for western zone i
- August, Partnership with the great commission movement of Nigeria for student on mission programme started.
- December, the BSF donated a Sienna Space Bus to the National Office for missions.
- Pastor Henry Afor resigned his appointment with the Division.
- Rev’d Oluwamoroti Akintola was appointed as Zonal Coordinator for Western Zone II.
- Pastor Seyi Oyenibi was appointed as Zonal Coordinator for Eastern Zone III.
- Rev’d Collins Olatunji was redeployed to coordinate Western Zone I comprising the three Conferences in Lagos.
- Pastor Mobolaji Oyelade was redeployed to the National Office, Baptist Building to serve as the ministerial Officer and also doubles as the coordinator for Ibadan and Oyo Conference.
- Rev’d Mobolaji Oyateru resigned his appointment with the Division.
The National Conference marked the 50th session of its kind.
Join Us on your Campus
find us in over 150 campuses across the nation